EarthView team bios, guidelines, and more.

Friday, January 20, 2012

County Map Project

Today at the Burkland and Goode Schools, I mentioned the County Map Project to several groups of students. This is a geographic "life list" that I began while living in Ohio more than 20 years ago. The project began with paper maps of the United States, on which I would shade in the counties I had visited at any time in my life. I encouraged my wife Pamela and several friends to take up the hobby, and eventually created this online version of the map, including larger-scale maps of each state.

A few years ago, I began to create a third-generation version of the project, using Geographic Information Systems, but have not yet completed the transition. As it stands now, I need to revise the maps, as I have visited many counties in Michigan -- and a few in New York, Vermont, and Maine -- since the last update!

I am not alone in this hobby. The Extra Miler Club is for people throughout the United States who enjoy going out of their way to visit new places, county by county.

No comments:

Post a Comment